Monday, November 14, 2011

Grocery Shopping in Chengdu

It's always an adventure to go grocery shopping in Chengdu.  I usually go to a supermarket called "Trust Mart" which is owned by Walmart.  It's about a 20 minute walk from my apt.  I have complained in the U.S. when I've had to park my minivan in the very last parking spot in the lot which meant pushing my cart the length of the parking lot.  Poor Amy.  How she suffered so. 

Tianfu Square.  The center of Chengdu.
Now, of course, I don't have a car.  So, I've learned to shop frequently so that I don't have to lug a lot of heavy groceries back on my walk.  I tried to balance two grocery bags on my bike, but cycling requires every bit of my attention given that cars drive on the sidewalks, they pass each other, and they constantly honk which is disconcerting while balancing grocery bags.


I've figured out how to take the bus to the super Walmart which is where the pictures are taken below. It costs about 30 cents to ride the bus, and they go everywhere in the city. I have been unable to locate a map in English with the bus routes marked on it, but the city is pretty easy to navigate. Chengdu has 3 major ring roads that fan out from the center of the city which has a beautiful square where the large Chairman Mao statue is located. I live between the first and second ring road, so I can hop on a bus on either ring road and get to the general area of most spots in Chengdu.

The large supermarkets are located on 2 or 3 stories instead of spread out on one floor. You have to ride these moving ramps up and down which accommodate shopping carts and tired Walmart shoppers like the little girl here. She stared at me the whole way up the ramp.



I was merrily snapping pictures in the store until an angry looking butcher told me to stop. Here are some shots I thought you all might enjoy seeing.
Chicken feet.  It's what is for dinner.

Sausages for sale.

The fruit is gorgeous and yummy.  Durians look like weapons, eh?
I've never seen anyone buy a manta ray to cook.  We are miles from the sea!



Anybody hungry for some pig feet? 

20 comments:

  1. Amy I just sent two pictures to my friends and relatives yesterday about shopping in Chengdu. Your blog is much more interesting and I'll send it on to my cousin Julia. I'm just getting dinner for Louie and Katie and I'm not sure they will eat Manta Ray. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the meat next to the pig feet? Entrails? Yum MEEEEE. Walmart, eh? What a world we live in. My fav pic is the little girl staring at you on the escalator. --Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! There I am in Tianfu Square. Notice the car? --Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Amy! It sounds like you are doing fabulously with everything from navigating the city to grocery shopping and teacher training! Good for you! Are your kiddos going to join you pretty soon? I bet they'll be a hit if you get to introduce them to any more middle school groups. Let the flapping begin!
    I've been reading a book called "Wild Swans" recently about 3 generations of women in China, and it gives a very drawn-out but interesting account of life over the past century. I think it's banned in China, but maybe you can read it when you get back. :) Have fun, and eat some pigs' feet to celebrate Thanksgiving this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can buy chicken feet at the Wal-Mart here although I have resisted the temptation thus far! Pass along your best recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating narrative, Amy, and the photos are great. I too would be interested in hearing how the Chinese cook with chicken feet. Since they're not very meaty, I suppose they're used for flavor...?

    Merry Christmas! I hope your kids and husband will be with you for the holidays. Prospero año nuevo también!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt very happy while readin this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!.
    https://tellthebellll.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read your article, it is very informative and for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
    health and fitness tips

    ReplyDelete
  9. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to he good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would youmind updating your blog with more information?
    t shirt printing uk wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very useful post. This is my first time i here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.

    t shirt printing companies uk

    ReplyDelete

  11. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post.



    tellthebelltacobell

    ReplyDelete

  12. I can see that you a an expert at ur field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.
    men's clothing brands

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to be visiting your blog once more, has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share.


    mykfcexperience

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.
    MBBS in Turkey

    ReplyDelete
  15. The homedepot Co., or you can say homedepot is an American biggest grocery store( home improvement) chain established on June 29, 1978, by Marietta, GA.

    It served around 2,312 areas in the United States. It is Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, US. For more data, visit homedepot.com.

    This article will assist you with finishing the homedepot Survey 2022 and get a section in the homedepot Sweepstakes to Win $5000. But, first, peruse the principles and prerequisites and follow the means to finish the homedepot Feedback.
    For any inquiry you have or need to input this article, utilize the remark box underneath to share. Also, visit our site for more review offers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Current employees and their loved ones do not participate on this survey. This can have an effect on the photo of the organization and make it difficult to gain allows.
    Click here Tellthebell

    ReplyDelete
  17. To find out how their consumers feel about them, Taco Bell asks them to fill out a customer satisfaction survey.
    Visit here Tellthebell Survey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tellthebell You may be confident in the company's capacity to implement your suggestions for improving its goods and services because of its excellent reputation. For more info https://tellthebellwin.info/

    ReplyDelete
  19. The survey's objectives are to give useful insights into customer experiences and assist the business in determining if it is living up to consumer expectations. https://acmemarketssurveyus.shop/

    ReplyDelete